Friday, December 22, 2017

"I am That"

The expression “I am That” is one of the great statements of Vedic thought. It means that I am that conscious entity that exists. It speaks of my knowing about my existence as a conscious being.
It does not say that “I am a man” or “I am a writer” and so on. It says that I am the essence of being in consciousness.
Wherever I turn, there I am surrounded by the bliss of consciousness. The experience of consciousness is blissful. It has the flavor of timelessness, stillness, and deep inner peace.
It always comes down to the question “Who am I?” I can find myself in my actions, as long as I perform them with a fully conscious mind. When I do this, I can say that “I am that,” but I also know that I am more than that activity. I am the actor behind the activity. I am the witness behind the activity. And I am the beginning and end of the activity.

Thinking in this way, I am satisfied when an activity begins and when it ends. I do not crave activities in order to have the conscious experience. I am aware of my existence as a conscious entity before, during, and after the activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment